Table of Contents
- Listen to the Show on iTunes
- Stream the Director's Cut (FULL VERSION) Topic-by-Topic
- Show Notes
- 3 Action Steps
- How to Get More Free Training from Stephen Vettorel
- Resources and Links
- About Stephen Vettorel
- Help Us Out (Review and Share)
- Get Free Access to Our LIVE Trading Room
- Listen to and Download the Podcast (EDITED)
Listen to the Show on iTunes
Stream the Director's Cut
FULL VERSION (1:28:54)
Back to Top
Q: Tell us about yourself.
- Whiz talks about his background growing up in New Jersey
- He joined the military and developed his love for aviation
- His car insurance company inspired him to begin investing in mutual funds and get into finance
- Whiz’s career path as an airline pilot changed dramatically on 9/11
- Through the chaos of a career change and being mobilized as a Naval combat pilot, Whiz was learning skills that could be applied to trading
Q: Who or what inspired you to become a trader?
- Whiz’s father provided the spark that ignited his interest in finance
- In college, Whiz was particularly engaged in economics courses
- Whiz grew tired of paying a fee for having someone manage his mutual funds, so he decided to learn to do it himself
- The first stocks he invested in were for personal and unique reasons
- Lunch with a colleague in the Navy changed his life
Q: At what point did trading become your primary source of income?
- The September 11th attacks made it necessary to transition from trading as a hobby to trading as a means to make ends meet
Q: What does a typical day look like for you?
- A typical day for Whiz starts much like it did in the military: with a daily intel brief
Q: Do you remember your first big winning trade? What did you do with the money?
- Whiz invested in the stock that made Martha Stewart infamous and made a very stylish (and speedy) purchase
Q: What is your favorite memory or trading story?
- A recent trade dealing with Brexit brought a smile to Whiz’s face
Q: What do you like most about trading and what do you like the least?
- Whiz’s passion for trading goes beyond making money – he sees trading as a form of combat
Q: Was there a specific turning point where you went from consistently losing money to being consistently profitable?
- There was a series of losses that made Whiz realize that he already possessed a specific set of skills that could elevate his trading
- There is a mentality that Whiz believes is essential to successful trading
Q: If you could go back in time, what advice would you give to your 20-year- old self?
- Whiz would have liked to forego a lot of the trading mistakes he made early on and jump right into the trading strategy that he later developed and has been very successful with
Q: How do you measure success in life?
- Whiz does not measure success by scoreboards or dollar signs
Q: What have you had to sacrifice to get where you are today?
- Time is a big sacrifice for achieving success
Q: What is the biggest difference between successful traders and unsuccessful traders?
- Whiz has a 7 step trade plan that addresses the one key factor that he believes differentiates successful traders from unsuccessful traders
Q: What is the most important piece of advice that you would give to new traders?
- Whiz wants new traders to stand on the shoulders of those who came before them
- Whiz believes traders get confused between strategies and tactics, so he suggests a process that he calls SOT
Q: How should someone handle losing streaks?
- Losing streaks are very tough to handle at the beginning, but the key is to recognize that they will not last forever
- Emotions can prolong a losing streak
Q: How important is mindset and how has your mindset evolved over time?
- Whiz’s upbringing and his time in the military helped him to develop a strong mindset early on
Q: What is your biggest challenge as a trader?
- Whiz believes that he has conquered MOST of his challenges, but there is one thing he could do to reach his goals at the moment
Q: What would you make required reading for every high school senior?
- Whiz believes that with today’s political climate, there is one book that would be particularly helpful for everyone to read and learn from
Q: What markets do you trade and why?
- All of them!
Q: What is your favorite trading strategy in today’s market?
- Whiz’s favorite strategy has changed over the past year to accommodate today’s fast-moving market
Q: What is different about your approach compared to other traders?
- Whiz’s background and the mindset that lends him sets him apart from other traders
Q: How would you trade a $5,000 account differently than a $50,000 account?
- Whiz wouldn’t trade them differently per se, but he would make slight changes based on the size of the account
Q: How does your strategy differ for income versus building wealth?
- There would be no difference in strategy
Q: What trading platform do you use primarily?
- Whiz uses a platform that he helped build!
Q: Which indicator could you not live without?
- As an options trader, the biggest instrument in Whiz’s cockpit is the VIX
Q: Do you have a written trading plan?
- Whiz uses his trading plan every day, but these days it is second nature
Q: Do you keep a trading journal?
- In the past, Whiz has used a trading journal, but the platform he uses today allows for exporting activity
Q: What is the next step in your evolution as a trader?
- Whiz is always evolving and looking for new ways to implement tactics
- Keeping up with news events and politics is a big factor in Whiz’s evolution
Q: How do you see the profession of trading evolving over the next 5-10 years?
- Whiz sees the FinTech movement as a huge factor in the evolution of trading
Q: What is the best way to get in touch with you?
Q: What are 3 action steps you recommend to be more profitable?
- Whiz provides his action steps for people looking to learn to trade
- Traderview Episode 002 - Show Notes
Back to Top
Back to Top
3 Action Steps
- Get a trade plan
- Manage Risk
- Remove emotion
How to Get More Free Training from Whiz Buckley
Get More Free Training from Whiz Buckley: go.topgunoptions.com/opcl
Resources and Links
- USAA http://www.usaa.com
- My American Journey by Colin Powell https://www.amazon.com/My-American-Journey-Colin-Powell/dp/0345466411/ref=la_B000AQ11UC_1_2
- Options House https://www.optionshouse.com/technology/platform
About Whiz Buckley
Matthew "Whiz" Buckley is the Founder and CEO of Top Gun Options, an exclusive provider of options training and practical trading applications for options traders of all skill levels. Whiz flew the F/A-18 Hornet for the U.S. Navy and is a graduate of TOPGUN. After leaving active duty, he served as a Managing Director at a Wall Street volatility arbitrage options firm and was a founder and the CEO of a financial media company. He is an internationally recognized speaker and combined his experiences in the military and corporate America in his first book "From Sea Level to C Level."
Help Us Out (Review and Share)If you had just ONE "a-ha" moment during this podcast, or got at least one good resource out of it, please help us spread the word by sharing this page via your favorite social media account, and by giving us an honest review on iTunes. It only takes 30 seconds and you'll be helping out fellow traders and creating all sorts of good karma. Click one of the buttons below to share this podcast. Then CLICK HERE for instructions on how to leave a review on iTunes. We'd love a 5-star review, but only if you really mean it -- it's important that your review is completely honest. Thanks for helping us spread the word!
Get Access to Our LIVE Trading Room
Watch "over the shoulder" of a professional trader (via webinar) as he trades LIVE in the markets, calling out trades well in advance so you can follow along in simulation and dramatically accelerate your progress toward your goals.
Get your questions answered, learn good money-management skills, and see the orders placed on the chart well before trades happens.
Most importantly, get personalized feedback on how to overcome the obstacles that have held you back so far in your trading career.
And it's all included when you join the WINNER'S Circle Membership at WINvesting.